Dr. Mark Plunkett, MD has specialized in an impressive number of fields, thanks to his intensive medical training, education, and hands-on career in several well-reputed medical institutions.
Dr. Mark Plunkett has always been passionate about the field of medicine and being able to present medical patients with the most up-to-date methods and knowledge.
Dr. Mark Plunkett began his education with a B.S. in Biology from the esteemed Duke University, and earned a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of North Carolina. Dr. Mark Plunkett, then went on to earn a variety of accreditations to fine-tune his medical capabilities and expand his understanding for surgery and medicine as a whole.
Dr. Mark Plunkett began to pursue specialization in medicine between 1993-1996, when he completed two fellowships: one for Thoracic Surgery from Duke University, and one for Pediatric Cardiology from UCLA Medical School. He then went on to become Board Certified in Thoracic Surgery ABTS and in Pediatric/Congenital Heart Surgery ABTS. To date, Mark D. Plunkett is certified in and has practiced the following specialties in his career: Thoracic Surgery, Pediatrics, Vascular Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology Transplant Surgery, Cardiovascular Disease, Pulmonary Disease, Congenital Cardiac Surgery, Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery, and Transplant Surgery.
- Thoracic Surgery: Mark Plunkett’s accreditation in Thoracic Surgery allows him to perform surgery on the esophagus, heart, lungs, and other chest-oriented organs.
- Pediatrics: Medical specialty which allows Dr. Plunkett to treat and identify disease and medical conditions in children.
- Vascular Surgery: Dr. Plunkett’s specialty in Vascular Surgery is one that is characterized by the study, diagnosis, and treatment of the body’s vascular system (arteries/veins).
- Pediatric Cardiology Transplant Surgery: Mark D. Plunkett is qualified and currently practices Pediatric Cardiology Transplant Surgery, which is the transplantation of children’s hearts.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Dr. Plunkett is specialized in the study, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases affecting the heart and/or blood vessels.
- Pulmonary Disease: Mark D. Plunkett is also able to diagnose and treat diseases of the lung.
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery: In case of complications of the heart and heart defects, Mark Plunkett is certified to perform surgery.
- Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery: Dr. Mark Plunkett is also medically qualified to diagnose and perform surgery for organs diseased within the body’s thorax.
- Transplant Surgery: Mark D. Plunkett, MD has a specialty background and practices the ability to perform organ transplants, should they be diseased or malfunctioning.